January 24, 2013

APPLE PIE or CRISP? by MARISSA




I got invited for dinner in Surrey two weeks ago and the main course, Pasta Amatriciana was a novelty  for me – quite good actually.  The host asked if I would like to have Apple Pie for dessert and she will make one if I can stay longer.  But I said, “Won’t it be too much work?”  Marissa assured me it was easy to do. 
It's really apple crisp, not pie, with Breyer's Vanilla ice cream


This pie came with a twist.  It has condensed milk – very non North American.  Marissa happens to be a Pilipina and condensed milk is a popular ingredient in a number of Philippine sweets.   And yes, the pie was easy and quick to make.  I think it is more of an Apple Crisp.

 


Marissa said I can share the recipe in my blog, so here it is:

1.       Use 1 ½ cup Bisquick Mix as the dough base in a 2” or higher round baking pan.  No need to line the sides of the pan.

2.      Slice 5 green apples (Granny Smith) or any tart variety to desirable chunk sizes you want to bite into later.  My preference is close to ½ inch cubes.

3.      Hand coat the apples with 1 can of condensed milk (this only comes in one standard size), ½ cup of softened salted butter, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.  Then load this gallimaufry  into the pie pan whose bottom has been lined with the Bisquick Mix. 


4.      Bake at 350°F for an hour.


5.      Then when done (taste test), take out the pie for the topping:


6.      Sprinkle ½ cup brown sugar


7.      Dabble all over with ½ cup softened salted butter


8.     Top with chopped walnuts or your nuts of choice.  Try to chop the nuts as small as you can for better texture.


9.      Return  the pie with topping this time back to the oven for 5 – 10 minutes still at 350, just enough to make the walnuts crunchy.


 


Serve while oven hot with vanilla ice cream – delightful!  This recipe will be enough for 6 to 8 people.


 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment