August 14, 2010

The Flying Peacock

Yesterday at 8:30 am, I woke up to a call from area code 202. I knew this was from the Washington D.C area. A young-sounding lady asked for Mr. Lopez.


"This is he."


"Hello Mr. Lopez, I am   ______________________ the Assistant Editorial Page Editor of The Washington Post. We are interested in the Op-Ed you submitted. Can we publish it?"

"Of course."

"Will you be able to check your e-mail in an hour so I can send you my edits?"

"No problem."

And so it goes, back and forth during the day: e-mails, and phone calls.  One call was while I was paying the 7-11 store clerk, and the last e-mail was close to 6:30 pm Pacific Time.  Remember DC is three hours ahead.  The good thing was I was able to make it for my final copy edit.  It was a whirlwind kind of a day, hectic but fun.  It was a good day.  And it was Friday the 13th!

Well the Op-ed was finally published today.  I cannot post it here as per exclusivity agreement with The Washington Post.   Here is the link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/13/AR2010081304919.html?nav=hcmoduletmv

I chose to title this entry The Flying Peacock - my original title for the Op-Ed piece.

What do you think of my perspective?  E-mail me at:  writetojosephlopez@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment